Minwax Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner promotes uniform penetration of Minwax Water Based Wood Stains and helps control the effect of grain raising on both soft and hard woods. Water-based stains react differently to wood than do oil-based stains. When using water-based stains, it’s essential to treat all types of wood with a water based pre-stain wood conditioner.
Use as the first step in any water based stain project on all types of wood to prepare for staining. Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner prevents blotching and streaking to ensure beautiful, even stain color.
|Application Tool:||cloth, synthetic bristle brush or foam applicator|
|Dry Time:||1-5 minutes|
|Cleanup:||soap and water|
|Coverage:||100-125 square feet per quart|
|Recommended Uses:||all soft or hard woods before using Water Based Wood Stains|
|Stain Application:||after allowing 15-30 minutes to dry and lightly sanding with fine grade sand paper|
(For Interior Use Only)
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue, and any existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain, first using medium-grade sandpaper (#120) working your way to fine-grade sandpaper (#220). Do Not Use Steel Wool.
- Remove all sanding dust.
- Stir contents thoroughly before use. Do not apply when temperature is below 55°F. Do not thin.
- Apply Minwax Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner with a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush or clean cloth. Allow to penetrate 1-5 minutes.
- Remove excess with a clean cloth. Do not allow product that has not penetrated the wood to dry on the wood surface.
- After 15-30 minutes, lightly sand the surface with fine-grade sandpaper (#220) to smooth any raised grain. Remove all sanding dust.
- Surface is now ready for staining with Minwax Water Based Wood Stain.
COVERAGE: approximately 100-125 square feet per quart.
CLEANUP: soap and warm water.
CAUTIONS: Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.