“Dying for freedom isn’t the worst thing that can happen. Being forgotten is.”
– Georgie Carter-Krell (Mother of Posthumous Medal of Honor Recipient Pfc. Bruce W. Carter)
Join us Saturday, May 4th, and stand with us to grow funds for the construction of the Gold Star Families Memorial Monument (GSFMM) in Forks.
Through shopping and or donating in our stores, you can have an immeasurable impact. Together we can give Gold Star families and the public a tangible monument to connect with loved ones and military personnel who died while serving our country. Representatives from GSFMM, will be at Angeles Millwork & Lumber Co. and Hartnagel Building Supply to ask for your support for the planned monument and its construction in Forks.
The Gold Star Family Memorial was created by Medal of Honor Recipient Hershel “Woody” Williams to remember those families who have made the ultimate sacrifice. To learn more about the memorial, please visit our Gold Star Families Memorial Monument web page.
The monument will be made of 15,000 pounds of black granite with a cut-out that represents a service member who died in battle. Written upon the monument will be the embossed statement, “Gold Star Families Memorial Monument, a tribute to Gold Star Families and Relatives who have sacrificed a Loved One for our Freedom.”
The opposing side will contain local references in four panels
- Homeland – A pictured scene with trees, mountains, water, waves and a log truck
- Family – A tree scene with the following poem;
A Fallen Limb
A limb has fallen from the family tree.
I keep hearing a voice that says,
“Grieve not for me.
Remember the best times,
the laughter, the song.
The good life I lived
while I was strong.
Continue my heritage,
I’m counting on you.
Keep smiling and surely
the sun will shine through.
My mind is at ease,
my soul is at rest.
how I truly was blessed.
no matter how small.
Go on with your life,
don’t worry about falls.
I miss you all dearly,
so keep up your chin.
Until the day comes
we’re together again.”
– Author Unknown
- Patriot – The iconic scene of Marines raising the flag on Mount Suribachi
- Sacrifice – Represented by 5 service medallions surrounding the folded funeral flag with a soaring eagle
How can you help the chosen non-profit for the month?
- LEARN. Go directly to the GSFMM website by clicking HERE.
- DONATE. While at Angeles Millwork or Hartnagels, be sure to drop a buck in our donation box or buy a memorial hat. 100% of funds go directly to the non-profit of the month. OR even better, click HERE to donate directly to GSFMM!
- SHOP. 5% of all retail sales on the first Saturday of the month go to the non-profit of the month AND we sell awesome building and home improvement stuff!
- SHARE. Like our Facebook page HERE and share our CFS posts with your friends. The more awareness we can raise, the more we support our community of givers!
- SUPPORT. It’s not just our stores that give to local non-profits. Many others on the Olympic Peninsula do as well. Make a point to show your support by shopping locally with like-minded businesses that give back to our community.